State Filing Manager - Accident and Health, Life and Annuities
This position is responsible for supervising the form and rate filing process performed by the filing team to meet the needs of the clients and the company. The qualified candidate must have accident and health, life and annuities SERFF management experience. Managerial duties includes, but are not limited to, supervision of the staff, as well as the planning, directing and assigning work schedules. It also includes the monitoring of new filing requirements identified via SERFF and implementation of any changes or new processes as a result. This position is also responsible for the training of new staff, instruction and ongoing support and guidance.
- The supervisor is responsible for overseeing and supporting the accident ande health form and rate filing activities for all clients’ projects undertaken by the company.
The supervisor supervises the Compliance Project Specialist and must be able to enhance team performance through individual contribution and focus on common goals in performing the filing activities of the company.
Supervisor is responsible for ensuring all filing projects are handled according to current company procedures, guidelines, and time-frames.
Play an active role with external clients, subcontractors, and Department of Insurance regarding the status of filing activities. Act as a catalyst to improve and enhance the flow of relevant information between subcontractors, compliance analysts, clients and all appropriate persons.
Identify and recommend work flow and or procedural changes to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness of the internal form filing process and drive the implementation of such changes.
Supervisor must ensure the confidentiality of client projects and work materials and not disclose or distribute information via any medium (verbal, written, and/or electronic communications) to any party outside the company unless as authorized by upper management. In addition Supervisor must ensure the confidentiality of protected health information (PHI) of each employee managed and not disclose or distribute information via any medium (verbal, written, and/or electronic communications) to any party outside the company unless as authorized by upper management.
The Supervisor participates in the development of the job descriptions of subordinates, the recruitment and hiring of employees. The supervisor is expected to advise employees of their daily and weekly work schedules when hired, and to give reasonable advance notice to employees if schedules are to be changed. It is the responsibility of the supervisor to authorize and assign additional work schedules when required, recognizing that occasions may arise when little or no advance notice is possible.
Establish and promote effective working relationship with the upper management by meeting regularly to identify project priorities, and provide responsive communications.
Establish and promote effective working relationships internal and external customers by maintaining performance standards, delivering on commitments, providing responsive communications and demonstrating creative problem solving.
Interact with regulators to ensure timely resolution of filing issues.
The supervisor must manage multiple concurrent activities to meet critical deadlines.
Supervise special projects as assigned including but not limited to their own filing projects, reports on filing activity, monitoring SERFF updates and identifying changes affecting the company processes or procedures.
Maintains professional and technical knowledge by learning new industry software and practices, attending industry meetings when appropriate, enrolling in self study industry courses, reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; bench-marking state-of-the-art practices.
The supervisor should exercise sound business judgment that consistently promotes the company’s earnings, growth, quality, and revenue and expense objectives while minimizing the risk of non-compliance.
Supervisor is responsible for adhering to the billable hour procedures and for meeting billable hour as targeted by management, as well as assisting subordinates in meeting their billable hour targeted.
Supervisors are responsible for being knowledgeable about and working within the established guidelines of each individual compensation program. These programs include, but are not limited to, initial salary setting, annual reviews and salary adjustments, and position descriptions. The Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that compensation policies and practices are communicated and implemented in a fair and equitable manner for the employees whom they supervise.
- BS, BA, Associate Degree or equivalent experience.
- Prior managerial experience of 3 - 5 years.
- Experience with accident and health, life, and annuity products for both group and individual markets. Experience with extraterritorial research, discretionary groups, and trusts a plus.
- Experience in handling multiple projects, demands and commitments. Ability to effectively prioritize those projects and communicate the status of such to all appropriate parties.
- Have demonstrated significant compliance experience in the insurance industry with a broad base understanding of contract issue, claims and underwriting, etc.
- Must be engaging with our clients and have the ability to develop rapport and maintain strong working relationships with clients, consultants and management. Successfully manages client and management's expectations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and business judgment; ability to enhance team performance through individual contribution and focus on common goals.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented individual. Takes an exhaustive approach to every task. Is committed to a comprehensive and in-depth analysis, planning, and implementation of every work effort.
- Has an advanced level of technical insurance office support functions which may require special knowledge and/or analytical skills.
- Is proactive to tasks and takes initiative on filing projects. Resolve problems of varying scope and complexity on own initiative.
- Must be able to travel occasionally to industry meetings and represent the company in a professional manner.
- Proficient in all research software, such as NILS, DOI websites, West, etc.
- Perform under very little supervision an advanced level of technical compliance functions which may require special knowledge and or analytical skills.
- Is above average PC literate. Is comfortable learning new software and researching on the internet and uses multiple resources and research methodologies to accomplish the task.
- Familiarity with issues of compliance for state and federal regulations.